Currently Luxembourg does not have any particular regulation for UAS operations within the Luxembourg airspace. Until the coming into force of such a regulation all UAS fall under the existing rules for full-size manned aircraft. As such aerial works, for instance using UAS for taking pictures or motion pictures from the bird eye view, are covered by the existing regulation for aerial work and therefor permission by the Directorate of Civil Aviation (DAC) has to be granted for every mission.
Details about aerial works are to be found on the following website:
The DAC is aware that not all of the required information can be provided by operators of small UAS below 25kg. Therefor an administrative procedure has been put in place in order to facilitate USA operations. The mentioned tax of 619,73€ has only to be paid once for UAS photography within Luxembourg airspace. Aircraft registration number, airworthiness certificates and pilot licenses do not need to be provided. For application the following form can be used.
SEE BELOW FOR UAS APPLICATION FORM
No general authorization is granted to UAS operators! All UAS operation authorizations are mission specific! A copy of the contract between the contracting entity and the UAS operator has to be joined to the application!
General restrictions due to safety reasons:
- no flights above 50 meters above ground are allowed;
- no people or animals can be overflown;
- the UAS is only allowed to operate within the predefined working area box;
- the working area must be delimited for public access;
- the UAS must be programmed not to leave the delimited working area box under any condition;
- the UAS pilot must always keep direct eye contact with the UAS;
- in case of any malfunction the UAS must immediately initiate a safe auto-landing manoeuvre;
- the operations have to be covered by an public responsibility insurance;
The applicant can request for a derogation from those general restrictions by presenting a safety case demonstrating that an acceptable level of safety for other airspace users as well as for any third parties on the ground is still guaranteed.