For over 50 years, AeroVironment has been a leader in advanced technologies and diverse innovations that have redefined how the world drives, flies, and connects.
If you thrive on a culture of relentless problem-solving and invention and want to work for a global front-runner where you tackle real-world challenges, then AeroVironment is the place for you.
Come join our group of innovative thinkers and discover how collaborative efforts produce extraordinary products that touch lives around the world. You can be a part of the team that developed these firsts: a controlled human-powered aircraft, the modern consumer electric car, a tiny hummingbird-like drone and a helicopter that flew on Mars. We also set flight records in near-space with our solar-powered aircraft, and we re-shaped the battlefield with portable, hand-held, tactical drones and loitering munitions. We have cemented our reputation around the world and in record books as unrivaled technological pioneers, including seven innovative vehicles in the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
While engineering for the future is what we do, we are ever-mindful of our strong commitment to purpose — to secure lives and advance sustainability through transformative innovation. The products and solutions we provide our customers help to save lives and contribute to a more sustainable environment.
Join us to help push beyond the realm of the possible with such future-defining technologies as robotics, sensors, software analytics and connectivity to generate ever-more meaningful actionable intelligence for our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
The Flight Test Manager leads the Flight Test team for testing of the HAPS system.
- Develop System Test Plans for air vehicle, execute simulator and flight tests, and document test results
- Determine and communicate flight test objectives.
- Develop test cards that meet flight test objectives
- Review System Requirement documents to help ensure requirements are concise and testable
- Supports system certification test planning and execution
- Lead flight readiness reviews, test briefs, and post-test debriefs for sub-scale and full-scale air vehicles
- Coordinate flight and ground crews for ground and flight test events
- Ensure test assets are prepared to support testing, including proper configuration of product hardware and software, writing test cards and procedures, and maintaining test equipment
- Details test activities and ensures documentation of test failures or anomalies in an issue tracking system database
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions, receiving little instruction on day-to-day work
- Prepares detailed post flight test reporting and is required to report, follow, and ensure adherence to all safety protocols
- Provides pertinent feedback to various department personnel on observed aircraft performance
- Performs flight demonstrations (coordinates equipment, planning, travel, etc.)
- Responsible for acceptance quality control (“QC”) system testing before flight test and after flight test
- Responsible for checking in and out flight test-owned equipment
- Analyzes and solves problems that develop during flight testing
- Works on assignments requiring considerable judgment and initiative. Exhibits understanding of implications of work and makes recommendations for solutions
- Coordinates flight test sites, airspace, frequency use etc.
- Other duties as assigned
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills & Experience)
- Prior Military and Aviation experience
- High School diploma or GED equivalent
- 10+ years of relevant work experience is required or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- Relevant experience with large Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Requires intermediate to advanced computer operation skills, including familiarity with MS Word and Excel
- Understanding of the functionality of major aircraft sub-systems and avionics
- Strong communication skills, including documenting plans, procedures, and reports; verbally directing UAV Operators and Observers during flight tests; capturing system test requirements; recording test failures; and reporting test results
- Ability to troubleshoot test failures
- Able to work overtime and weekends as needed
- Able to travel (frequent)
- Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties oneself, others, and the company
- Demonstrates effective problem-solving, analytical, interpersonal, team leadership and communication skills
- Consistently demonstrates teamwork, collaboration and prioritizes the success of the team
- Able to work outdoors in extreme weather conditions and traverse across uneven ground and varying terrain (Frequent)
- Able to lift and/or move objects of varying sizes and shapes up to 50 lbs. (Frequent)
- Required to stand and/or sit for long periods of time (Constant)
- Able to maintain visual line of sight of unmanned air vehicles up to 1 kilometer away (Frequent)
- Climbing, stooping, kneeling, feeling, overhead lifting (Occasional)
The Salary Range For This Role Is
$106,560 – $159,840
AeroVironment considers several factors when extending an offer, including but not limited to, the location, the role and associated responsibilities, a candidate’s work experience, education/training, and key skills.
This position requires access to information that is subject to compliance with the International Traffic Arms Regulations (“ITAR”) and/or the Export Administration Regulations (“EAR”). In order to comply with the requirements of the ITAR and/or the EAR, applicants will be asked to provide specific documentation to verify U.S. person status under the ITAR and the EAR. A “U.S. person” according to their definition is a U.S. citizen, U.S. lawful permanent resident (green card holder), or protected individual such as a refugee, or asylee. See 22 CFR
- 120.15. Some positions will require current U.S. Citizenship due to contract requirements.
Benefits: AV offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental vision, 401K with company matching, a 9/80 work schedule and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit: http://www.avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at http://www.avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) or asylee/refugee status as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3) required.