Here at Kitty Hawk in Palo Alto, we are developing ground breaking all-electric Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) aircraft. Project Heaviside is Kitty Hawk’s latest high-performance electric VTOL vehicle. It is designed to be fast, small, and exceedingly quiet, taking advantage of new possibilities to free people from traffic.
As a flight test operator you will focus on operational testing of eVTOL aircraft in a variety of use cases. The ideal candidate has a mix of aviation experience and is excited about the future of electric aviation. You will execute flight tests at our local test site, as well as strategic sites around the country while providing critical feedback on improving the system and operations.
Within 1 month you will:
- Begin flight operations training by leveraging manuals, simulators, and actual aircraft operations guided by instructor pilots
- Shadow and assist with ongoing flight tests multiple days per week
Within 3 months you will:
- Complete required training to support and execute flight tests
- Provide useful feedback to improve flight testing efficiency and effectiveness
- Understand all of the vehicle subsystems to better troubleshoot issues and help shape test plans
- Identify risks and mitigations associated with flight testing
Within 6 months you will:
- Operate without supervision from instructor pilots
- Conduct daily flight operations in support of company objectives
- Travel to new flight operations areas around the country
- Provide operational feedback for the development and validation of aircraft CONOPs
- Part 107 certificate (or ability to obtain)
- Possess, or the ability to obtain, at minimum a Class 3 aviation medical
- Be comfortable working in an outdoor environment, multiple days a week, where you may be exposed to rain, snow, and extreme heat or cold
You must have a majority, but not all, of the following experience and skills:
- Part 61 certificate (or equivalent knowledge)
- Proficient in line of sight (not FPV) RC fixed wing and multirotor (strongly desired)
- Ability to travel in support of flight operations
- Creating or executing a test plan, ideally in a related field
- Risk analysis and mitigation
- Operation of a new system in a R&D environment in a related field
- Pragmatic approach to new issues and challenges
- Basic mechanical and electrical integration
- Proficient in basic productivity software (Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, etc)
Ideally you would also have the following:
- Experience operating Linux based systems
- Operation of remotely piloted aircraft beyond line of site
- Experience organizing complex cross team work activities
- Digital issue and maintenance tracking programs
We welcome you to apply even if you don’t match every requirement posted for this role. No one candidate will be a 100% perfect match to our description, so if you are passionate about working on the next evolution in aviation and have similar experience to what we are looking for, we encourage you to apply. Diverse backgrounds and experiences promote innovation and our goal is to build a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.
All of our team whose roles allow them to work remotely are doing so, and will continue to do so until we’re able to be back in the office. For teams that are not able to work remotely we’re making every accommodation possible to provide a safe working environment, and ensuring we meet all state and county guidelines.
Our headquarters is in Palo Alto and we offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, and life insurance, unlimited PTO days, 10 company holidays, a 401(k) plan with 40% company matching (no vesting period), flight lesson subsidy, education assistance, and company-sponsored social events. For those working onsite, Kitty Hawk also offers commuter assistance, and free drinks and snacks.
Kitty Hawk provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Kitty Hawk abides by applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Kitty Hawk is an E-Verify employer.