Locations: St. Louis, MO / Boston, MA / Chicago, IL / Hybrid
WINGXPAND is expanding what’s possible with drones with our 8ft aerial intelligence aircraft that expands from a backpack to help farmers grow more yield, public safety crews respond to disasters faster, and keep soldiers safe.
We’re a rapidly growing, Techstars backed, startup that is creating the future of aerial intelligence, anywhere, at any time. We want you to play a key role in our journey!
We are seeking an experienced Mechatronic / Robotics Engineer who is passionate about bridging the gap between mechanical systems and electronic control. This role is perfect for someone who enjoys hands-on creation, from tinkering with robots to mastering communication protocols. You will leverage your experience to innovate, design, and refine unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) that are the backbone of our product offerings.
The successful candidate will also support developing and maintaining software for autonomous flight and ground control systems used in our WINGXPAND™ UAS platform designs. This is a unique opportunity to follow the full development lifecycle from creation to integration and testing on real-world production aircraft.
- Design and prototype integrated systems involving sensors, servos, and controllers
- Develop and manage inputs/outputs for system functionality and user interaction
- Experiment with and integrate a variety of sensors to enhance system capabilities
- Ensure robust networking integration for system controls and data exchange
- Conduct lab testing and validation to ensure system reliability and efficiency
- Troubleshoot issues across mechanical, electrical, and software domains
- Create, modify, test, validate, and maintain software that controls autonomous aircraft performance from launch through mission to landing
- Create and modify software to support the integration of aircraft payloads, like cameras / sensors, and electrical sub-systems into software architecture, validate and test real world performance
- Leverage and maintain a scalable software development workflow, including writing clear, well documented and easy to maintain code
- Seamlessly collaborate with software and mechanical engineers to achieve aircraft performance requirements and ensure compatibility
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in mechatronics, robotics, computer science, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or a related field
- 2+ years of professional experiences, with a focus on robotics systems, including integrating and testing various sensors and servos
- Strong skills with communication protocols including MAVlink, serial, I2C, SPI, and CAN bus
- Experience with integrating software on onboard UAS computers
- Proficiency in managing and interfacing with electronic devices and systems
- Possesses an understanding of aircraft control systems and navigation with the ability to analyze flight test data, diagnosing and solving any complications observed
- Familiar with developing system architecture, data networking concepts, testing and debugging software-mechanical interactions
- Experience with agile development workflows
- Knowledge of C++, Java, Python and QT
- Self-starter eager to learn and dive into new projects with strong communication and teamwork skills
- Preferred background in PX4 and QGroundControl
- Prefer additional background in perception, edge AI, and machine learning algorithms and technologies
- Prefer those with a background in developing and flying drones
What Else You Need to Know
We offer a competitive package based on level of experience, including the possibility of WINGXPAND stock options and advancement opportunities as the company expands.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident/Green Card Holder)
If you are a self-motivated, results-driven individual with a passion for innovation and technology, we want to hear from you! Apply today and join us on the journey of expanding what’s possible with aerial intelligence for those that keep our world running!
Please apply with your resume and / or CV explaining why you are the perfect candidate for this role.