Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
The US Flight Operations team at Zipline is growing, and we’re looking for individuals with sound judgment, excellent interpersonal skills, and exceptionally high standards. As part of this growth, Zipline is building a scalable and repeatable program for ongoing airspace and route analysis, and continued aviation community outreach.
As the Route/Airspace and Aviation Outreach Manager, you will be an important public face of Zipline’s flight operations. You will be responsible for building and maintaining strong relationships with aviation organizations in each of the communities we serve. Additionally, you will evaluate new and ongoing airspace environments and flight routes to ensure appropriate airspace elements are maintained. You will report to the Director of Flight Operations.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
In this role, you will combine superb operations, aviation, and communication capabilities with a demonstrated ability to work with aviation teams to bridge the gap with communities, regulators, and stakeholders. Overall responsibilities include the following.
- Serve as Zipline’s day-to-day representative to local FSDOs for anything related to airspace user communication/outreach.
- Manage and build playbooks for airspace outreach events for new and ongoing areas of operation.
- Manage and create new and current content for airspace user outreach events and other related content.
- Conduct and manage all aviation-related outreach events, in partnership with local team members.
- Regularly interact with the Public Policy and Community Engagement Team to ensure programmatic alignment.
- Evaluate all potential new flight regions, routes, and delivery locations to include initial and ongoing identification of keepout areas and other obstacles.
- Oversee team notification of TFRs, NOTAMs, weather, and other operationally impactful airspace events. Disseminate info to applicable flight facilities (Nests) and define medium for standardized distribution.
- Conduct Nest suitability analysis to ensure potential flight facility locations are evaluated appropriately. This includes analysis of airport departure and arrival procedures to ensure appropriate deconfliction.
- Work with the stakeholders to design initial routes and ensure all P135 provisions and limitations are maintained. This includes compliance to internal design standards and simulation requirements.
- Oversee new route deployment in partnership with maintenance and ensure appropriate crew awareness and training (when applicable). This includes coordination with Part 119 personnel to ensure appropriate updates to manuals, regulatory permissions, and OpSpecs.
- Maintain master P135 route and airspace analysis tool in coordination with GIS team.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Flight Operations.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- 2+ years working in aviation or aviation university program
- FAA Private Pilot Certificate and/ or FAA Aircraft Dispatcher Certificate
- Expert on all things airspace to include airport environment instrument procedures
- Strong communication, editing, and writing credentials
- Must be able to travel 15 percent, as necessary
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office and Google applications
- Advanced proficiency with Google Earth Pro
- Problem solver, able to troubleshoot issues independently or escalate when necessary – sense of accountability and sound professional judgment.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident
- Must be open to submitting a pre-employment drug and alcohol test
- Experience in a Part 121 or Part 135 commercial organization
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience or exposure to commercial or military UAS operations
- Willing to relocate to Charlotte, NC
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies. We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!