At Elroy Air, we are building autonomous cargo aircraft systems that will change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air can be much faster than by land or sea – but before recent developments in perception, autonomy, electric powertrain and aerospace materials, air transport has remained too expensive. We’re going to change that. And we’re solving a big problem – the express logistics industry worldwide spends $140B annually.
Our future partners and customers are responding enthusiastically. As we prepare to pilot our vehicles with customers, we are looking for people like you: motivated teammates excited by this mission and by the rare opportunity to develop a world-class autonomous air transport system. You will play a critical part in designing and developing the Elroy Air system.
As a vehicle test engineer, your mission is to ensure the quality and safety of our vehicle hardware and software systems by conceiving test plans, designing test fixtures, and rigorously stress-testing vehicle systems and components. As the final gatekeeper for product quality, your role is critical to the success of Elroy’s autonomous air cargo systems. You will work closely with our Aerospace Engineering, Industrial Design, and Avionics and Flight Controls teams to ensure complete test coverage.
This is a full time position based at our headquarters in San Francisco, CA.
What You’ll Own
- Develop and execute comprehensive test plans for all vehicle subsystems, e.g., autonomous cargo handling, robotic taxi systems, vertical and forward flight systems, control surface servo-actuators, hybrid powertrain components, and battery systems.
- Developing and conducting acceptance tests for vendor-supplied components and subsystems. Including collaborating with vendors to maximize component quality.
- Collaborating with members of the engineering team to design and build test fixtures
- Being an expert of the test aircraft and its systems
- Building and executing integrated vehicle system test campaigns and associated processes
- Conducting flight tests as a primary member of the flight team in the Ground Control Station
- Coordinating with multiple teams in support of vehicle test objectives
- Maintaining and creating vehicle test operation documentation and checklists
- Designing tests to validate aircraft performance and usability in its target application
Our ideal candidate
- 3+ years experience in testing of manned or unmanned vehicles
- Ability to work closely with engineering and other test personnel to design and execute complex tests and operations on fast-paced schedules
- Proficiency in data analysis with MATLAB, Python, or other scripting tools
- Experienced in data acquisition systems design and implementation
- Belief and personal practice of strong safety culture through the use of SOPs
- The ability to travel to flight and ground testing sites as-needed.
- Proficiency in Solidworks CAD software.
- The ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in applicable engineering field, or equivalent experience
Bonus points for
- Experience with systems comprising a diverse set of hardware interfaces, communications buses, peripheral devices, and sensors
- Experience with testing of large (1000lbs +) UAVs, VTOL aircraft, and/or manned aircraft, complex robotics systems, automobiles, etc.
- Private Pilot or higher rating
- Remote Pilot certificate
Elroy Air values and strives for diversity in our workforce and does not discriminate based on applicant identity in accordance with equal employment opportunities and federal, state, and local law. We define diversity as a variety of perspectives, life experiences, and backgrounds which form a person’s identity. This includes not just gender identity and race, but also; ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren’t an exact match for our open role, many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.