At Elroy Air, we are building autonomous cargo aircraft systems that will change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air can be much faster than by land or sea – but before recent developments in perception, autonomy, electric powertrain and aerospace materials, air transport has remained too expensive. We’re going to change that. And we’re solving a big problem – the express logistics industry worldwide spends $140B annually.
This isn’t our first rodeo, but there’s a lot of exciting work ahead. You will play a critical part in designing and developing the Elroy Air system. Our future partners and customers are responding enthusiastically. As we prepare to pilot our vehicles with customers, we are looking for people like you: motivated teammates excited by this mission and by the rare opportunity to develop a world-class autonomous air transport system.
As a Vehicle Integration Engineer, you will help our team to tackle a broad array of aero, structural, mechanical, and electro-mechanical development tasks as well as aircraft testing needs critical to our VTOL aircraft and its associated subsystems.
What you’ll own
- Determining appropriate construction/assembly methodologies and then executing the builds and assembly of aircraft, fixtures, and test equipment for our vehicle development and testing programs
- CAD experience (SolidWorks), and adept use of hand tools, power tools, and machining equipment are necessities for this role
- Integrating and debugging complex systems involving electrical and electro-mechanical devices on aircraft and test fixtures
- Designing parts that are appropriate for machining, composites molding, welding, laser cutting, waterjet, forgings, etc
- Creating shop drawings/CAD for vendors to ensure that parts meet our performance goalsWorking with our designers and engineers to devise appropriate access panels, field-replaceable drive units, and ensure fastener accessibility
- Assisting our Mechanical Engineering team in design and calculations necessary for designing a wide range of aircraft components and test fixtures
- Providing operational feedback for the development and validation of aircraft CONOPsParticipating in operation of test equipment
- Working with our Flight Testing team in participating in pre- and post-flight procedures and working in the Ground Control Station
Our ideal candidate
- Experience and interest in operating unmanned systems
- 3-to-5 years of Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical engineering experience directly pertaining to vehicle design or robotic systems, preferably in the UAV space
- Experience building vehicles or robots utilizing high power drives or actuators
- Experience designing for machined parts and composite structures
- Well-versed in a wide variety of production processes including but not limited to CNC machining best practices, 3D printing, waterjet and laser cutting, gluing and bonding, etc.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in the applicable engineering field, or equivalent work experience
- Proficiency in SolidWorks CAD and simulation packages
- Hands-on experience with aircraft components and aircraft-related systems
- Creating and owning documentation for a variety of technical, program, and testing needs
- Experience with instrumentation and data acquisition systems (e.g. National Instruments / LabView)
- Experience in operating new systems in an R&D environment
- Able to adapt to shifting priorities and goals
- Comfortable working on a small multi-disciplinary team
Bonus points for
- Familiarity with FAA regulations (part 91, 23, 27, 135)
- Private or commercial pilots certificate
- Aircraft homebuilding experience
- Past experience developing parts and structures for weight-constrained applications
- Past experience developing parts and structures involving large structural composite vehicles/robots/etc.
Elroy Air values and strives for diversity in our workforce and does not discriminate based on applicant identity in accordance with equal employment opportunities and federal, state, and local law. We define diversity as a variety of perspectives, life experiences, and backgrounds which form a person’s identity. This includes not just gender identity and race, but also; ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren’t an exact match for our open role, many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through