With exponential growth in the unmanned aircraft systems industry, this program is a great way for students to get a jump start!
June 22-26, 2020
K-State Polytechnic has created an interactive, exciting and flexible UAS experience for teens ages 14 to 17. The primary goal of this virtual academy is to provide students the ability to explore UAS, build foundational skills, receive mentorship and if interested, transition to the campus’s degree program and a future career.
The academy’s curriculum is derived from leading industry experts, fostering the mastery of drone fundamentals and providing a springboard to the next step. The course is a well-balanced mix of online learning and flight training that can be done anywhere you choose.
An academy instruction kit will be sent to students before the program begins that includes essentials like a log book and K-State landing pad. Students who successfully complete the program will receive a special achievement package by mail.
Borrow it, buy it, own it: Students in this course will use their own drone if equipped with a camera; but don’t worry, we can help with recommendations for a type that can withstand beginner training and be fun for time to come. Our recommended UAS for this program runs between $150-$200.
- Explore UAS flight fundamentals and maneuvers for multirotor aircraft
- Log three hours of flight time in an official logbook
- Learn about safety and flight planning
- Hear stories about careers from drone experts
- Discover your photography and video skills
UAS Virtual Academy
Cost is $49 + the purchase of a UAS (if not accessible to the student)
Register by June 15 at noon
Questions? Contact [email protected]
Recommended UAS information:
- Recommended UAS is DJI Tello Quadcopter with Fly More kit
- Smartphone is required to operate Tello
- Tello app must be downloaded
- Controller purchase is also recommended (retails for around $50)
If a student already owns one of the below UAS, it may be utilized for a similar experience. Please note, all course instruction and examples will be done using the Tello.
- DJI Mavic Mini
- DJI Mavic Air, Mavic Air 2
- DJI Spark
- DJI Mavic Pro
- DJI Mavic Pro 2
- DJI Mavic 2 Zoom
- DJI Phantom 2, 3, 4
- DJI Inspire 1, 2
- Parrot Bebop, Bebop 2
- Parrot Anafi
If a student has access to another small UAS not mentioned above, it must have the following capabilities to be utilized in this course:
- Onboard camera capable of remote image capture
- Onboard camera captures 5MP or greater images and 720p or greater video