Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) Pilots are responsible for piloting high end drone systems used for aerial inspections of transmission line structures, among other applications. As the pilot in command, the UAS Pilot has ultimate say in ensuring safe flight operations in the field. The pilot also will document environmental conditions and known hazards, and coordinate with the project manager or other Valmont personnel to confirm aircraft deconfliction notice filings with customers and the FAA. Often, UAS Pilots work in conjunction with a camera operator and a visual observer (VO), and must demonstrate strong teamwork, communication skills and crew resource management.
UAS Pilots must be able to safely operate drones in close quarters, and be able to execute emergency landing procedures in the event of signal loss or other danger (e.g., sudden high winds). They will be required to learn and adhere to specific flight SOPs for aerial inspections and for operating within specified weather conditions to ensure safety. In addition, the position of UAS Pilots entails the following responsibilities:
- Communicate clearly and directly with the camera operator (and VO) throughout the duration of each flight
- Respond immediately to any issues with the drone, whether experienced personally or identified by the camera operator or VO
- Maintain awareness of surroundings and known hazards at all time during flight operations
- Examine all gear (drone, props, controllers, monitors, batteries) prior to each flight and pause operations if anomalies are found
- Clean all gear upon return to the main office at the end of each day and return items to correct locations for safe storage
- Maintain daily crew flight and inspection activity logs
- This position has a dotted-line reporting to the Project Manager and has no direct or indirect reports
- This role requires heavy travel (60-95%), including overnight stays, to the location of specified UAS projects
Other Important Details about the Role:
The UAS Pilot must have a fundamental understanding of drone functionality and be able to perform routine maintenance checks to identify equipment in need of repair or replacement. Since a UAS Pilot may have to monitor the drone’s equipment while also communicating with the camera operator and VO, they should be capable of multitasking effectively. UAS Pilots also will be responsible for executing safety protocols at the worksite including completing written Task Hazard Analysis forms, implement Emergency Action Plans and securing the area for drone flights.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Preferred Bachelors with 6+ years’ relevant experience or Associates Degree with 8+ year’s relevant experience or 10+ years of relevant experience.
- UAS Pilots must have FAA Part 107 Certification and a minimum of 250 flight hours
- Must be familiar with flying drone platforms of various sizes and be able to learn the platform(s) used for Valmont drone operations
- UAS Pilots must hold or be able to obtain an OSHA-30 Certification, FEMA/DHS NIMS/ICS certifications, FCC Radio Operators Licenses, First Aid/CPR certification, and valid driver’s license, and must be comfortable working outdoors in remote environments in both hot and cold weather
- Basic computer skills, including file transfer and organization, and familiarity with the iOS platform are required
- The UAS Pilot is part of a larger team of pilots, camera operators, VOs and inspectors, and should demonstrate a positive attitude, flexibility, and good communication skills
- All team members are expected to be proactive in offering help and pitching in where they can to ensure operations go smoothly and maintain a welcoming work environment
- UAS Pilots also should have good mechanical and electrical troubleshooting and problem solving skills, and be able to proactively seek out answers for any equipment or work-related issues that arise
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Experience with flying in and around energized utility lines and aerial structures
- Experience with RTK drone technology
- Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
- Inspector certificates from ASNT or NACE
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed outdoors in remote locations. Most work days begin and end at the main project office or work trailer before drone’s travel to the specified location for the day’s flight operations. The UAS Pilot is regularly required to stand for extended periods of time, as well as drive a pickup truck and load/unload drone equipment and safety cones at the work site. Travel is heavy – anywhere from 60% to 95% and will require overnight stays at domestic locations. The employee is occasionally required to assist with filing, inventory checks, equipment maintenance, and general cleaning and administrative tasks at the office. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds while working with large boxes and hard cases with drone equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email [email protected]