At Swoop Aero, our goal is to revolutionise the way medicine is delivered to everyone, everywhere. Swoop Aero is an aeromedical drone logistics company that has been operational since 2017. In December 2018, Swoop Aero became the first company globally to provide an immunisation vaccine via drone. In 2019, Swoop Aero conducted flight operations in Vanuatu and the Democratic Republic of Congo, which were extremely successful in linking up geographically remote communities with essential healthcare supplies and vaccines. We are continually expanding operations worldwide, with current operations underway in Malawi, Mozambique, and Australia and beyond.
Do you want to be a part of this exciting team?
About the role
Swoop Aero is looking for a highly ambitious, self-motivated and experienced individual for the position of Robotics Software Engineer. In this role, you will design, implement and test a broad range of software and firmware systems that are suitable for aircraft with vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) capacity.
- Develop advanced guidance, navigation, and control behaviours for autonomous, payload, long-range VTOL, aircraft operating in multiple complex scenarios
- Work with machine vision and perception specialists to build a rich set of autonomous capabilities based upon sophisticated sensor fusion
- Source, qualify, select and validate a variety of perception sensors
- Source and/or develop sensor drivers as needed to pull data into the robotic system
- Rapid prototyping of sensor and actuator subsystems to eliminate uncertainties in forward-looking aircraft design
- Work closely with the Controls and Reliability teams to ensure a smooth handoff of validated systems
- Assist in troubleshooting sensor, actuator and controls problems that arise in pre-production systems
- Develop software and firmware that is reproducible, traceable and transparent manner to ensure a streamline, efficient production system
- Develop tests, set up continuous integration pipelines and document design decisions
- Advanced written and communication skills
- High degree of proficiency with program software and language used in embedded systems and robotics
- Prior experience and practical operation of robotics and autonomous vehicle technologies and techniques such as stereo vision, mapping, localisation, static, dynamic and non-cooperative obstacle avoidance, sensor fusion and filtering
- Advanced knowledge of robotics algorithms and an understanding of real time systems
- Advanced knowledge of concurrent programming and memory management in bare metal, RTOS, or Linux based environments
- Ability to read and write sensor and actuator drivers written in a C-like language
- Experience using common Linux command-line tools for building and testing code
- Ability to break down complex, long-term projects into a series of smaller iterations with finite time constraints
- Minimum three years of experience building a series of robotic systems
- Prior experience building custom software for drones / UAVs / flying robots
- Prior experience developing vision-based perception code, especially with Nvidia Jetson and CUDA
- Prior experience developing safety-critical systems such as aerospace, automotive, rail, or medical devices
- Prior experience working in a high-reliability software development practice such as ASTM F3201-16 or DO-178C
- Prior experience working in an Agile development environment
If you believe you match the criteria, have a demonstrated interest in operational unmanned aerial vehicles, and are passionate about helping millions of people, we would love for you to get in touch. Please complete the form below and attach a one page CV, and we will get back to you as soon as we can.