DroneDeploy is the leading drone software platform, enabling customers in farming, construction, and mining, to understand the world from the air. We’re a small and dynamic team, taking on the hardest engineering problems in the industry, while maintaining a clean and accessible design.
We’re looking for a lead designer to help us build out and lead our design function at DroneDeploy. You’ll be expected to start by taking on all aspects of user research, interaction and visual design, while helping us plan growth to our team in the areas that need it most. You’ll help us make decisions about how to improve our product, pioneering best practices and appropriate design language for drone operation and geospatial data consumption.
Where You Can Make an Impact
- User Research and Synthesis: Running open-ended user research in the early phase of the design process, to synthesize our unique functional design.
- Interaction Design: Generating wireframes, workflows and thinking about the user experience at a higher level. Using these tools and principles to craft DroneDeploy’s rich UX and UI, with a deep focus on user empathy and situational design.
- Design Process: Embracing the lean/agile design processes, achieving ‘just enough’ to move forward in the design iteration process without getting stuck on pixel perfect at an early stage.
- Visual Design: within the context of application development – making considered choices like “high contrast with a light background because farmers are operating in the sun”
- Continuous Improvement: Both in the inspiring an environment for improving the design process, as well as educating yourself and others on modern team practices and tools.
- Collaboration: Working with our elite team of engineers to build ground-breaking products with polished UX/UI.
- Vision: Extracting and absorbing the ‘vision’ from others and synthesizing it into a cohesive and elegant, finished product.
- You have 3-5 years of Professional Experience, with at least 2 years spent owning a single product
- You’ve lead a team and have direct reports who would sing your praises
- Proficiency with Sketch, Zeplin, Invision (+ Craft), Adobe Suite, or comparable tools.
- You’re very comfortable communicating the value of your work, and the justification for the design decisions you made.
- Strong experience with a design process. You know what the next activity should be, and when to stop the current activity and move on.
- You love being autonomous, taking full ownership of every last detail, every step of the way.
- Leading simultaneous projects with fast turnarounds excites you.
- You have some experience hiring and potentially managing other designers
- You are available to work within our San Francisco office.
- Familiarity and comfort in working with engineers – willingness to learn the technical constraints of implementing certain design principles.
- You take pride in your visual abilities and your “design eye.”
- You are technically proficient and have an interest in understanding what’s “Under the hood.”
We are the leading cloud software platform for commercial drones, making the power of aerial data accessible and productive for everyone. Trusted by businesses and individuals in over 130 countries worldwide, we are transforming the way drone users collect, manage and digest impactful data in a variety of industries, including agriculture, real estate, mining and construction. Simple by design and easy to use, DroneDeploy builds revolutionary software compatible with any drone. If you’re excited about drones and want to help us create a simple and seamless experience for drone users across the world, we’d love to hear from you!
Life at DroneDeploy
In addition to leading the pack in the field of Drone Software Platforms, we’re a team of star wars loving, hot sauce eating, tech enthusiasts with motivational talents. Everyone is empowered to explore and implement new ideas and improvements. We enjoy our collaborative office environment and inspire each other to push boundaries. We host weekly Friday night BBQs on our rooftop deck, offer great salaries, generous equity, 100% employee health coverage, unlimited vacation and delicious catered meals among other perks.
DroneDeploy is an equal opportunity employer.