We are edging ever closer to an off the shelf $500 mapping drone. By the time regulations are in place in the USA to allow civil UAS commercial flight $500 platforms will more than likely be everywhere.
The development of post processing solutions such as Microsoft’s Photosynth are making it easier to create product from simple platforms. Many of the more expensive solutions out there include post production and that’s where their cost is justified.
Several years ago the airframe and autopilot were the expensive part, looking into the near future compliance and training will become profit centres.
Fixed wing platforms have the ability to be lower cost than multicopters for longer range and greater lift. Quite simply because they use less motors and therefore power and have a greater wing area dedicated to lifting sensors. They however require a little more thought and flight planning to operate as they use more sky in operation.
Announcing the RTF Arduplane Solution from Event 38
The E382 Aerial Mapping Airplane comes with a completely assembled and ready to fly airplane capable of making high resolution aerial maps. This kit is designed to get you up and running with your plane as quickly as possible.
- Skywalker Airframe, Assembled and Ready to Fly
- 1250 kV Brushless Motor
- Motor Speed Controller
- 4x Servos
- Cables & Harnesses Pre-Installed
- ArduPilot Mega 2.0 Autopilot
- Includes GPS, IMU, Pressure Sensor and Flight Data Log
- Cruise speed: 25 mph (40 kph)
- Endurance: ~60 minutes with 4S 5000mAh battery
- Fly-by-Wire mode, Return-to-Launch and Autonomous modes available
- Stable airframe is easy to launch and land
- Wings detach and separate in two pieces for transport
Add your point and shoot digital camera or select one of ours to create beautiful, high resolution images from the air.