Vacancy Reference: 2023/CLA-196
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK
Salary Range: £40,000 – £55,000 per annum depending on relevant experience
At Callen-Lenz, we are expanding the limits of what is possible. We specialise in manned and unmanned aircraft operations and technology, and having recently received investment into the business we are going through a period of rapid growth and development and are looking for key roles to assist with these changes. Callen-Lenz offers innovative and customer focused UAS solutions through our 4 key business strands; technical services, products, platforms and operational services. We are looking for individuals to help drive forward our expansion, placing you at forefront of UAS development in the UK.
Why Work for Us
Based in the heart of rural Wiltshire, close to the Historic city of Salisbury you will join our rapidly growing, friendly and multi-disciplined team, working on a range of diverse and interesting projects, leading the way in this exciting field and witnessing the full lifecycle of our products. The Callen-Lenz team are passionate about what we do, and we are searching for individuals to grow with us as we expand into the aerospace industry.
Our benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave per year (plus bank holidays)
- Buy/Sell holiday policy up to 5 days either way
- Pension Scheme via Royal London
- Life assurance scheme (6x basic salary)
- Income protection policy (75% of basic salary)
- Cycle2Work scheme
- Private Health Insurance via Vitality
- Enhanced Maternity and paternity
- 1 Professional membership reimbursed per year
- Access to an independent financial advisor year round
- Training & development opportunities
About the Role
As an Air Vehicle Design Engineer, you will report into the Air Vehicle Design Manager and work within a multi-disciplined team. We are rapidly expanding to meet buoyant customer demand for;
- cutting edge prototype development,
- design maturation to support series production and
- bespoke payloads in production platforms for demanding customers to tight timescales.
Occasional home working is available on a flexible basis to fit in with the role requirements.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues, customers and suppliers as necessary to efficiently identify and resolve issues.
- Capture and derive requirements, developing solutions that meet internal and external customer needs.
- Ensure design solutions meet requirements and timescales.
- Deploy configuration control and documentation appropriate to customer needs.
- Lead major technical design reviews and compliance verification activities.
- Coach, mentor and delegate tasking to junior staff ensuring an appropriate level of technical direction and guidance is provided commensurate with their experience and level of confidence.
- Review of engineering definition / documentation produced by other team members.
- Technical management of suppliers, including engineering offload / contractors.
- Advise and assist in the development and implementation of maturing company processes.
- Design for manufacture including shop support and design amendments.
- Preparation of engineering drawings to support external component manufacture.
- Lead and execute sub-system level testing. Prepare for and support vehicle level, including flight testing. Resolve resulting issues quickly and effectively.
- Prepare formal documentation recording the results and conclusions of test activities.
- Perform other related duties as required.
A BSc or Masters Honours degree in an Engineering or Science subject.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Proficient in 3D CAD using SolidWorks or a comparable software package.
- Systems engineering lifecycle experience, preferably in an aerospace context.
- Demonstrable experience of design for manufacture.
- Report writing and information dissemination/presentation skills.
- Demonstrable problem solving ability in an engineering environment to tight timescales.
- Experience providing effective technical leadership to cross functional engineering teams.
- Experience interfacing with customers on a technical basis.
- Experience interfacing with suppliers on a technical basis.
- Experience with rapid prototyping tools such as 3D printing, laser cutting and CNC milling.
- Experience with composite material lay-up and design for manufacture.
- Experience with configuration management and document management tools and their application in an engineering context.
- Familiarity with related aerospace specifications including Mil-Stds and RTCA.
- Experience stressing standard aerospace materials including composites.
- Experience with electrical installation design including environmental considerations.
- Experience designing and integrating aircraft systems including powerplants.
- Experience using aerodynamic tools to evaluate and make appropriate design decisions.
- Requirements verification and validation experience in an aerospace context.
- Must be a British Citizen or must have an existing right to work in the UK and have been a UK resident for 5 years
- Ability to live near and work in Salisbury, Wiltshire UK
- Ability to commit to occasional national and international travel
- Ability to hold security clearance
- Enthusiasm for their work and self-motivated
- Confident and supportive team player
Callen-Lenz is an equal opportunities employer, committed to building an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, or age. It is essential that the successful candidate must, by the start of their employment have permission to work in the UK. Proof of identity and eligibility to work in the UK will be required prior to commencement of employment.