Skyports is the world’s leading owner and operator of vertiport infrastructure to enable electric air taxi operations in cities around the world, with the first commercial flights planned for 2024. We also operate drones as a service, providing cargo drone delivery solutions for the medical, logistics and e-commerce sectors and are operating for the likes of the National Health Service (NHS) and Royal Mail in the UK, as well as surveillance work in Singapore.
Headquartered in London, United Kingdom, and with offices in Singapore and the USA, we have projects operating across multiple continents, including in Asia, Australia, Europe, Middle East and North and South America. Our investors are some of the world’s leaders in transport, including 2i Aeroporti (F2i and Ardian), Deutsche Bahn Digital Ventures, Goodman Group, GreenPoint, Groupe ADP, Irelandia Aviation, Kanematsu Corporation, Levitate Capital and Solar Ventus.
We have an exciting new opportunity for a Regulatory Affairs Associate/Lead (dependent on experience) to join our international regulation team, which works across both sides of the business. This role would focus on supporting our drone services business.
The role is extremely varied, from obtaining operational and airspace access authorisations from regulators for drone services operations in target markets (including Asia Pacific, Europe, including UK, Middle East and North and South America) and supporting our safety and compliance activities, to managing relationships with aviation stakeholders affected by our drone services operations, supporting the flight operations team with route development and influencing the development of proposals for new regulations.
Company culture overview
At Skyports we work hard to get the job done. We’re passionate about what we do and are focused on delivering the best value, solutions and services to our customers.
We pride ourselves on a team culture and are committed to delivering a positive experience for our employees. We foster an environment that is inclusive and promotes growth. We’re not a traditional ‘9 to 5’ company; we offer a hybrid and flexible working arrangement and encourage our employees to achieve a work-life balance that suits their lifestyle.
Based in London, the role will involve domestic and likely involve international travel.
- Secure operational authorisations from national aviation authorities to carry out drone services operations through the production of operating safety cases
- Project manage required changes to airspace and/or apply for permissions to secure the necessary volumes of airspace or access to controlled airspace for our drone services operations
- Manage relationships with other airspace users and aviation stakeholders affected by Skyports’ operations, as well as developing relationships with the regulators themselves
- Secure relevant permissions from communications regulators to use spectrum and mobile networks for airborne use
- Secure permissions to carry dangerous goods by drone
- Take ownership of regularly updating operations manuals and other documentation enabling drone operations, ensuring consistency across multiple jurisdictions
- Manage the renewals of existing operational authorisations and other regulatory permissions
- Research and develop a thorough understanding of the regulatory environment of target markets within individual jurisdictions in the wider region
- Contribute to influential, evidenced-based consultation responses and submissions to regulators
- Have a strong commitment to safety by supporting the safety and compliance activities across the company, including the operation and administration of the safety management and quality management systems, and support safety event review meetings
- Monitor our safety (ground & air) risk registers to identify and advise where circumstances may have changed and caused risks to no longer be as low as reasonably practicable and tolerable.
- Advise the business on all regulatory matters – from proposed new aviation rules to standards development – within relevant jurisdictions
- Assess the feasibility of potential use cases and operation proposals from a regulatory perspective, and contribute to commercial agreements, funding and project applications (where appropriate)
- Represent Skyports at meetings and events, including delivering presentations, especially to regulators
- Report to our Head of Safety and Compliance in the UK, and work most closely with our flight operations teams and our drone services commercial team based in the UK and internationally, as well as working alongside our regulatory affairs leads in the Americas, Asia Pacific, and Europe & Middle East
- A highly motivated, proactive, self-starter and team-player who likes a challenge and has the ingenuity and resilience to find the solutions to overcome them
- Someone who owns and takes responsibility for regulatory projects, working collaboratively with team members internally and externally
- Proven ability to plan, lead and manage complex projects and concurrent work-streams across multiple business functions, many with tight deadlines and competing priorities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to maximise the impact of our documentation, and to build strong networks and relationships
- Ability to influence regulators, legislators, and policymakers
- Keen attention to detail to ensure our documentation meets all the necessary rules and regulations and is of the highest quality standard
- Ability to quickly master complex, technical issues and interpret
- Ability to problem solve on the fly; someone who can ask the questions that have not been asked and can find the answers too
- A strong interest in and commitment to help achieve the successful introduction of unmanned aircraft system (UAS) and advanced air mobility (AAM) solutions into mainstream society
- Being comfortable navigating through ambiguity as this is new industry and no one yet has all the answers
- Embraces opportunities to learn new skills and take on new tasks whenever they arise
- Embodies a safety-first approach and a commitment to safety
- Experience of working in a similar role in industry or with an aviation regulator
- Flexibility and appetite to travel
- Willingness to work flexible hours to support projects across the world
- Has a high level of commitment, reliability and flexibility, whilst being an excellent team player
- Familiarity and experience of working on and securing regulatory approvals and airspace changes
- Knowledge of drone regulations
- Background in aviation with knowledge of airspace
- Generous stock options
- Company pension scheme
- Continuing education allowance
- Unlimited vacation allowance
- Fantastic learning environment
- A unique exciting fast-paced working culture where we can truly make a change for good to the world of transportation