OpenWorks Engineering is a high-tech company based in the North East of England. We are supporting security and defence authorities with their mission to protect against the threats posed by drones – our SkyWall and SkyTrack technology is in use around the world. We require enthusiastic individuals capable of ensuring the delivery of high-quality products for our international customers. We are proud of providing a fun and relaxed environment with flexible working where individuals can express their full potential.
OpenWorks is looking for someone who will enjoy developing advanced software to power our products. Our products include market-leading optical tracking systems using in-house AI computer vision technology to detect, track and intercept drones. We develop our software in-house specifically for our hardware platforms.
The right individual will be someone who has experience of building software to run on real-time platforms and developing desktop applications. This work covers initial architecture design, specifying hardware, OS and libraries, code writing and review, source control and release management. They will work closely with mechanical and electrical engineers during the design and test of products.
Optionally, the role may also include computer vision AI development, including testing and implementing new AI algorithms, managing the development of training datasets and producing new models for deployment onto edge hardware.
OpenWorks primarily uses C/C++ for its embedded software development, and C# for its desktop software, alongside Python for its AI development.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be able to develop software applications from idea to deployment.
- Have a breadth of experience using multiple software languages in different domains.
- Be interested in developing the software practices and tools used throughout the organisation, in both its products and processes.
- Possess the creativity to identify opportunities to improve product features and performance.
Optionally, a candidate will:
- Have demonstrable knowledge of computer vision techniques and general machine learning principles.
- Be experienced in developing software for deployment on physical devices.
- Be willing to travel and represent OpenWorks to customers and suppliers, including working directly with customers to integrate OpenWorks products with their systems.
OpenWorks is a small business which puts the welfare of employees first. We provide a range of perks including a cooked lunch from our dedicated chef and the opportunity for flexible working. The role includes 25 days of holiday plus 8 bank holidays per year. Our bonus structure includes a share options scheme allowing members to share in the growth and success of the business. We have an inclusive culture and are proud of our values of Honesty, Empowerment, Teamwork and Autonomy. All our team are encouraged to help promote ideas for new products and understand how we help our customers.
The role involves a significant amount of time working with our products for development and testing, and so is primarily an on-site role. OpenWorks has a culture of flexible working dependent on individual project requirements.