At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle mile and needs faster, better solutions – while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As a Structural Analyst on the Vehicle Engineering team you will be responsible for performing comprehensive structural analysis supporting exciting new products from concept, into prototyping and through the entire product lifecycle. In this role, you will help define requirements, guide concepts, perform trade studies, optimize preliminary designs, check detailed designs, and support structural test campaigns and certification. By developing methods, tools, and templates, you will set the standard for structural analysis.
What You’ll Own:
- Performance of static and dynamic structural analysis of primary and secondary composite and metallic aircraft structures and systems integration, across the product life cycle, using classical and finite element analysis (FEA) methods
- Performance of trade studies, optimization, and checks of aircraft structures for specific strength, rigidity, and durability with a focus on consistently promoting balance with cost and complexities
- Supporting the planning, execution, and reporting of static and dynamic structural tests
- Performing correlation and correction of structural models
- Supporting the development and maintenance of the structural engineering ecosystem including design guidelines, analysis methods and tools, test procedures, and allowables
- Supporting design, manufacturing, and service engineers in developing well-balanced solutions
Our Ideal Candidate:
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related discipline
- 5+ years of experience performing structural analysis in the automotive, aeronautical, and/or space industries
- Deep knowledge and experience analyzing bonded and fastened composite and metallic structures for strength, rigidity, and durability
- Expert user of FEMAP, NX Nastran, and Microsoft Excel
- Working knowledge of Part 21 FAA aircraft type certification processes and Part 23 and Part 27 airworthiness standards. Experience with requirements, means of compliance, and methods of compliance.
- Is kind, respectful, and direct using strong verbal and written communication skills. Open to giving and receiving feedback.
- Thrives in a dynamic hands-on environment
Bonus Points For:
- MS or PhD in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- Proficient user of VBA for Microsoft Excel and FEMAP’s API
- Experience with rotocraft aircraft
- Experience with external loads development
- Experience with non-linear static structural analysis
- Experience with dynamic loads and vibration analysis
- Experience with planning, executing, and reporting building-block structural analysis/test campaigns
- Experience with composite material system evaluation and qualification
- Experience with testing structure, developing test plans, and enveloping load cases
What’s In It For You:
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Competitive insurance package including medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life
- 401(k) with broad access to low-cost investment funds, paid parental leave, and highly flexible vacation policy.
- You’ll work with and learn from a diverse and highly skilled team.
- You’ll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you’ll work on novel and never-before-built systems.
- As an early addition to a quickly growing team, you’ll help shape and define company culture and values.
- You’ll work in a hands-on office and testing facility minutes from downtown San Francisco.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren’t an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.