SOUTH SAN FRANCISCO / FLIGHT TEST / FULL-TIME
At Elroy Air, we are building autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems that will change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air has so much potential! It’s much faster than by land or sea, but before recent developments in perception, autonomy, electric powertrain and aerospace materials – air transport has remained expensive. We’re going to change that. And we’re solving big problems; the commercial express logistics industry worldwide needs faster + better transport and spends $140B annually, and our men and women in uniform need a reliable unmanned aerial cargo delivery system.
Our future partners and customers are responding enthusiastically. As we prepare to fly our vehicles with customers, we are looking for people like you: motivated teammates excited by this mission and by the rare opportunity to develop a world-class autonomous aerial logistics system. You will play a critical role in bringing the Elroy Air system to the world.
Elroy Air values and strives for diversity in our workforce and does not discriminate based on applicant identity in accordance with equal employment opportunities and federal, state, and local law. We define diversity as a variety of perspectives, life experiences, and backgrounds which form a person’s identity. This includes not just gender identity and race, but also ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As a flight test engineer, you will be responsible for leading the effort around building and executing comprehensive test test plans, participating in flight readiness reviews, conducting subsystem and fully integrated vehicle testing, monitoring real-time telemetry, performing flight data analysis, thoroughly documenting test results, and troubleshooting issues on Elroy’s autonomous cargo transport aircraft. You will work closely with our Vehicle Engineering, Industrial Design, Software, and Airborne teams to ensure complete test coverage.
This is an onsite, full-time, exempt role based in South San Francisco.
What you’ll own
- Building and executing a flight test campaign and associated processes
- Building and executing test plans for vehicle vertical lift and propulsion subsystems
- Collaborating with members of the engineering team to design and build test fixtures
- Being an expert of the test aircraft and its systems
- Conducting flight tests as a primary member of the flight team in the GCS
- Coordinating with multiple teams in support of flight test objectives
- Maintaining and creating flight test operation documentation and checklists
- Building and executing flight tests based on system changes
- Designing tests to validate aircraft performance and usability in its target application
Our ideal candidate
- 5+ years experience in flight testing of manned or unmanned aircraft
- Ability to work closely with engineering and other test personnel to design and execute complex tests and operations on fast-paced schedules
- Proficiency in data analysis with MATLAB, Python, or other scripting tools
- Belief and personal practice of strong safety culture through the use of SOPs
- The ability to travel to flight & ground testing sites as-needed
- Understanding of aerodynamics, aircraft performance and/or digital flight controls
- Proficiency in Solidworks CAD software.
- The ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in applicable engineering field, or equivalent experience
Bonus points for
- Experience with systems comprising a diverse set of hardware interfaces, communications buses, peripheral devices, and sensors
- Experience with flight testing of large (1000lbs +) UAVs, VTOL aircraft, and/or manned aircraft
- Experience with first flight efforts of manned or unmanned aircraft
- Private Pilot or higher rating
- Remote Pilot certificate
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups.
- A kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You’ll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you’ll work on novel and never-before-built systems
- As an early addition to a quickly growing team, you’ll help shape and define company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
We encourage you to apply even if you aren’t an exact match for our open role, many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.