At Elroy Air, we are building autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems that will change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air has so much potential! It’s much faster than by land or sea, but before recent developments in perception, autonomy, electric powertrain and aerospace materials – air transport has remained expensive.
We’re going to change that. And we’re solving big problems; the commercial express logistics industry worldwide needs faster + better transport and spends $140B annually, and our men and women in uniform need a reliable unmanned aerial cargo delivery system.
Our future partners and customers are responding enthusiastically. As we prepare to fly our vehicles with customers, we are looking for people like you: motivated teammates excited by this mission and by the rare opportunity to develop a world-class autonomous aerial logistics system. You will play a critical role in bringing the Elroy Air system to the world.
As a Fabrication Technician, you will join a growing aircraft build crew and will support the building, assembly and testing preparation activities of the Chaparral aircraft. This is a hands-on, highly visible role and is a great opportunity to join a fast-growing company. You can add your own contribution to this growing VTOL sector of aviation and be surrounded by a team of talented, motivated technicians, engineers and professionals.
This is a full-time position at our headquarters in South San Francisco, CA. We are working in-person safely, with masking required in-office, and Covid-19 vaccination status verified prior to employment.
What you’ll own
- Provide immediate support to the aircraft build team, and bring Electrical and Wiring fabrication knowledge and experience.
- Full ownership and involvement with a specific aircraft build phase, all the way through to full flight envelope testing.
- Flexibility and support other critical tasks as assigned
Our ideal candidate
- Experienced fabricator or assembly technician of aircraft. Complex aerospace-related electrical, avionics and wiring systems specialist.
- Fabrication experience covering a wide array of tools, equipment, gages, measurement devices and machines
- Variety of wire harnessing, LV and HV electrical system assembly and testing experience
- Repairs, troubleshooting, testing and validation of these systems
- Diligent worker, takes pride in their work and surroundings, safety conscious and familiar with FOD controlled environments.
- Team player, hard worker, action oriented and effective collaborator
Strong candidates will embody the following
- Aerospace industry experience
- 5+ years experience in hands-on fabrication practices with a focus on electrical systems, wiring and assembly
- Possess an understanding of wiring and electrical theory, with prior experience assembling wire harnesses
- Familiarity with air-vehicle avionics, or electrical systems fabrication
- Capable of working with energized circuits according to all safety requirements. Understands the methods and techniques necessary for safe operations using HV battery systems.
- Able to competently build, fit, assemble, connect and route cabling and wire harnesses throughout the aircraft in both prototype, development and production environments.
- Understands traceability, labelling and diagnostic & QA testing needs as part of the build, test and integration phases of production.
- Able to fabricate, shape, tailor, fit, assemble and connect a broad variety of aerospace grade materials, assembly components and details.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand engineering drawings, wiring drawings, work instructions, sketches, quality and planning documentation, including working level GD&T knowledge.
- Able to work with minimal supervision, maintain a high level of craftsmanship and remain flexible to adjust priorities accordingly.
- Experienced wire harness and electrical systems fabricator
- Able to work with precision tolerances, tooling, set-ups, in-process inspection, defect detection and rework processes or repairs.
- Able to utilize a range of aviation-grade pneumatic and electrical tools, fixtures and equipment both safely and efficiently.
Bonus points for
- Prototype aircraft build experience
- Start-up / early-stage company experience
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Competitive insurance package including medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life
- 401(k) with broad access to low-cost investment funds, paid parental leave, and highly flexible vacation policy.
- You’ll work with and learn from a diverse and highly skilled team
- You’ll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you’ll work on novel and never-before-built systems.
- As an early addition to a quickly growing team, you’ll help shape and define company culture and values
Elroy Air values and strives for diversity in our workforce and does not discriminate based on applicant identity in accordance with equal employment opportunities and federal, state, and local law. We define diversity as a variety of perspectives, life experiences, and backgrounds that form a person’s identity.
This includes not just gender identity and race, but also; ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren’t an exact match for our open role, many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.