South San Francisco, California
Do you want to change the world? Zipline uses drones to deliver critical and lifesaving medicine to thousands of hospitals serving millions of people in multiple countries. Our mission is to provide every human on Earth with instant access to vital medical supplies. Join Zipline and help us make this a reality for billions of people.
ABOUT YOU AND THE ROLE
Zipline is scaling globally, and we are deeply committed to building an operationally excellent, values-driven, and equitable organization with world-class leadership and a high-performance culture. Our Academy team (global L&D team) is responsible for learning across Zipline and plays a critical role in onboarding, training, and certifying Zipliners to excel in their roles and exemplify Zipline’s culture and values. Zipline Academy’s ability to hire, train, and grow our team at high quality is quickly becoming a strategic competitive advantage for Zipline, and we feel like we’re only scratching the surface.
We’re searching for a visionary Head of Learning and Development (Academy) to lead this critical function for Zipline, creating and implementing a learning strategy to propel Zipline to achieve its mission, scaling high-quality operational training to support critical medical deliveries, and providing world-class learning support to teams across the company. You’ll coach and grow the team (currently 10+ strong) as you scale to support Zipline’s expansion. This is a highly visible role where you will get to add immense value and shape the future of Zipline.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Scale high-quality operational training across Zipline’s operating locations, in both the healthcare and aviation spheres
- Build a scalable system for delivering high-quality onboarding for all Zipliners so they understand our company’s culture, values, and ways of working — and how they apply in their individual role (e.g., our values in practice, how to give/receive feedback, how to be a thoughtful member of a globally diverse team)
- Build and scale high-quality leadership and professional skills training
- Deliver training programs to leaders at all tenures and experience levels, both live and virtually
- Build and execute a train-the-trainer program for professional development of both full-time Academy instructors as well as other Zipliners delivering training content
- Partner with leaders across Zipline, including People Partners (HR Business Partners), to understand critical business needs and develop / implement learning solutions to meet those needs
- Build and monitor tight, data-driven feedback loops so we can measure the effectiveness of training and use that to continuously improve across all offered training programs
- Build and maintain an excellent foundation for Zipline’s learning and development initiatives, including our learning management system, learning templates, and other resources
- Be a critical thought partner in shaping Zipline’s People strategy and the ongoing evolution of Zipline’s values
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- You have 5+ years of relevant work experience, especially in operational settings. Healthcare, scaled ops/manufacturing, retail, backgrounds are a huge plus!
- You have experience building and leading teams, ideally in global and high-growth settings
- You have experience building high-impact, rapidly-scaled training programs from the ground up
- You think deeply about values and seek to grow teams that are aligned with the organization’s overall values and culture
- You’re an active and savvy business partner who deeply understands business needs and how training can best address them
- You have a proven track record of building high-trust working relationships with leaders at all levels
- You have a passion for building diverse, equitable, and inclusive organizations; and, ideally, you have experience with delivery of DEIB training
- You are system- and process-driven, enjoy creating order from chaos, and use data to drive continuous improvement
- You are an engaging storyteller and presenter who can build compelling and high-impact materials
- You are an excellent facilitator, both in live and remote settings, with diverse groups
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills in 1:1 and 1:many settings
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
The role is open to candidates based in the Bay Area, Rwanda, or Ghana — Zipline’s current locations — or with interest/ability to relocate to one of those locations.
The person in this role will spend significant time in person with the Academy team, and with Zipliners across the globe. We’re looking for someone who is excited about the opportunity of travelling ~20-30% to Zipline locations around the world (currently US, Rwanda, Ghana, and Nigeria) for team management, live training, and relationship-building.
For candidates who would be based in the Bay Area, we recommend an initial ~3 month temporary relocation to Rwanda and Ghana for optimal onboarding.Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other characteristics protected by state, federal or local law or our other policies. We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!