We are looking for someone who can spearhead expansion of Zipline’s Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) commercial delivery operations in the U.S.
As a member of Zipline’s Legal, Regulatory & Policy team, you will be responsible for obtaining and maintaining aviation regulatory approvals that enable Zipline to operate safely, efficiently, and at scale in the U.S., and acting as a primary point of contact with key regulators regarding Zipline’s commercial UAS operations.
Key to this role will be gaining an extraordinary command of Zipline’s end-to-end commercial UAS operations, effectively leading Zipline’s ongoing interactions with U.S. federal and state aviation and transportation regulators, advising Zipline’s internal teams on current and future regulatory requirements and empowering them to meet them, and collaborating closely with teams across the company as well as experts, regulatory bodies, and industry groups.
The responsibilities on day one are big, and knocking it out of the park can unlock an uncommon opportunity to play a central role in architecting and executing the regulatory strategy that opens skyways for millions of Americans to reliable, on-demand access to essential medical supplies.
What You’ll Do
– Jump in on day one to help drive existing aviation regulatory approvals for Zipline’s commercial UAS operations in the U.S. – In close coordination with the General Counsel, own the strategic direction, prioritization, and implementation of how Zipline approaches aviation regulatory approvals necessary for expanding delivery operations in the U.S.
– Become an expert, and the first port of call for teammates and regulators alike, on all manner of aviation regulatory requirements applicable to Zipline’s current and future delivery operations in the U.S.- Build and maintain strong relationships with key U.S. federal (e.g., FAA and USDOT) and state (e.g., NCDOT) regulators to advance Zipline’s business and operational objectives.
– Advise and participate (as necessary) in regulatory and industry bodies setting standards, regulatory frameworks, or technical requirements relevant to Zipline’s commercial UAS operations- Provide legal and regulatory compliance partnership to U.S. flight operations and maintenance teams to support proper formal and informal reporting, periodic procedural updates, etc.
– Manage and execute company projects corresponding to key initiatives at the FAA and USDOT- Work closely with colleagues from Legal, Regulatory & Policy as well as our business, operations, and engineering teams to help Zipline achieve success in a novel, complex U.S. regulatory environment for commercial UAS operations
What You’ll Bring
– You have significant prior experience working with or in a regulatory body focused on aviation, aerospace and/or transportation (in certain cases, candidates with strong relevant experience in other highly-regulated and safety-oriented industries may also be considered)
– You quickly grasp complex technical and regulatory issues and developments and the implications they have on our business
– You have the analytical rigor and breakthrough creativity to be “first of a kind” through challenging regulatory processes
– You are willing to get in the weeds and dive headfirst into Zipline’s UAS technology and operationsYou can communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) and build strong relationships with internal business teams and external stakeholders
– You can foster and own a strong and partnership-focused relationship with the FAA and other aviation regulators (such as DoD and state departments of transportation)
– You have the grit, resourcefulness, and resilience to thrive in novel, uncertain and constantly-changing business and regulatory environments
– You think smart, act decisively, and stand together with your teammates
– You believe deeply that access matters and that we can and will provide access to essential medical supplies for every person on the planet
– You have a B.A. or B.S. degree (a law or technical degree is welcome but not required)
– Must be eligible to work in the US.
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
This role is based out of California, but we’re open to flexible work options, especially Washington, D.C. or North Carolina.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!