At Flock, we’re on a mission to make the world a smarter, safer place.
Having soared to dominance in the UK drone industry we’ve now set our sights on enhancing risk management across multiple sectors. Insurers around the world are looking to license our technology platform and join in our mission to make the world a smarter, safer place.
We’re making Flock a great place to work and care deeply about creating a diverse and inclusive culture where everyone can succeed. You can find out more about or company values and benefits here.
This role is key to Flock as a company and is focused on leading the evolution of our world leading Risk Intelligence Engine. You’ll be working on developing a scalable, flexible and generalized risk intelligence engine capable of pricing multiple types of insurance in real-time. Becoming familiar with all parts of our state of the art data stack, and exercising judgement in key decisions, such as assessing trade-offs between statistical modelling and heuristic based algorithms
You’ll spend your time on:
- Maintaining and improving our existing algorithms and models
- Designing new algorithms and models
- Explaining our algorithms and models to non technical team mates, and presenting sanitized explanations to potential customers/investors
- Work and collaborate within an Agile time that continuously deploys to AWS
- Plan and estimate work on a weekly basis while also contributing to our long term data strategy
- Plan and build required components for the Flock Risk Engine
You should apply if:
- You have experience working in Data Science within the Insurance industry
- You enjoy writing code in Python, R, or a similar programming language
- You stayed informed of cutting edge data science industry developments, and have a clear grasp of when to prioritize complex non-standard methods over faster simpler approaches
- You have a mathematical background and you’re interested in advanced probabilistic models
- You are excited by decoding mathematical processes, and converting them to code, and have experience mapping business processes and needs onto mathematical models
- Experience working with some or all of our tech stack: Python, Jupyter, Postgres, NodeJS, Airflow, DBT, Haskell, AWS, Kubernetes, Terraform, Docker
If you have any of these that’s awesome, if not, we look forward to teaching you 🙂
- Familiarity with Catastrophe Modelling
- Experience productionizing data science and algorithmic code
- Familiarity with common ETL Processes especially Airflow
- Familiarity with Postgres and Relational Algebra
- Familiarity with DBT and scalable data model design
- Familiarity with type systems and type theory
- Open source contributions or other community engagement
- Experience working at a small startup
- A MSc or above in Artificial Intelligence/Data Science/Mathematics or a related field
We recommend having a read through our full company values and benefits!
Our office is in Central London a short walk from Farringdon and Chancery Lane Underground stations.
The interview process will consist of:
- A Google Hangout with our Tech Lead & Data Scientist
- A data focused remote pairing exercise
- A face to face interview with our Tech Lead, Founders + other team members
We want to be as accommodating as possible to everyone who interviews with us, so if you have any special requirements please don’t hesitate to let us know!
- Competitive salary
- Options: we want you to own the work that you do. And this means owning the company you work in. All employees receive options as part of their compensation package
- Pension: we offer a full auto-enrollment workplace pension for all employees who want it. Nothing fancy here. Just a pension
- Large amounts of autonomy and empowerment in your work
- Holidays: we offer 33 days of holiday per annum, including bank holidays
- Flexible working location/working from home: We trust you to establish an effective working pattern that allows you to excel in your role and makes you a great Flock team member!
- Centrally located office next to the culinary delights of Leather Lane food market, in a dedicated, brand-new office spread across two floors. Dedicated bike storage, shower facilities and rooftop terrace.
👩🎓👨🎓Learning & Development
- Generous books, courses and conference budgets for all employees
- Hackathons: we run a quarterly hackathon which lasts 24 hours. Everyone’s invited to join in
- Weekly knowledge-sharing brown bag sessions: learn from your colleagues (or teach us something new!)
- Extensive opportunities for personal mentoring from our dedicated advisory boards and investor community
- A brand spanking new Macbook (and accessories)
- An abundance of socials: fancy lunches, weekly quizzes, Friday drinks & snacks, video-games nights, Museum Lates and more!
- Quarterly offsite adventures: every quarter the entire team do something crazy together. Like fly a plane to the coast!
- Commuting help: we’re part of the cycle-to-work scheme
- Sports and social clubs
- Unlimited coffee, tea and fresh fruit every day