The purpose of this position is to provide technical expertise and professional knowledge in the development, preservation and safety of aviation in Minnesota related to UAS (unmanned aircraft systems). This position inspects and licenses commercial aviation operators, and enforces Minnesota Statutes and Rules pertaining to aeronautics. This position organizes and conducts safety and educational seminars for UAS operators. This position also provides guidance to communities on UAS operations. This position provides approval of UAS operations for MnDOT and assists with the training and approval for MnDOT personnel operating UAS.
Three years professional experience, of which 1 year is demonstrated experience with UAS flying, with the following:
• Working knowledge of the Federal Aviation Regulations sufficient to understand the requirements of manned aircraft and unmanned aircraft to help in developing strategies for use and integration of sUAS into Minnesota airspace;
• Experience with Model or other Unmanned Aircraft Operations sufficient to understand the operation of unmanned aircraft and have developed skills and safety practices in operating UAS;
• Knowledge of safety standards related to small UAS;
• 100 hours of manned aircraft pilot time.
Three years professional experience with the following:
• Ability to write training materials and present on items related to UAS, the federal aviation regulations and MN Statutes and Rules;
• Experience preparing and presenting to groups from 10 to 200 people;
• Computer knowledge and experience sufficient to manage a database of UAS tracking data and other affiliated information;
• Human relation and communication skills sufficient to prepare and present technical information to diverse groups.
• Private pilot’s certificate or higher sufficient to understand and relate to the laws, rules and regulations to work with airports, manned aircraft pilots, UAS pilots, public recreational UAS pilots, etc.
• Remote Pilot Certificate (small Unmanned Aircraft Systems) sufficient to serve as MnDOT’s “drone” expert;
**Successful candidate must pass past-employer reference checks and criminal history check**
It is our policy that all candidates submit to a background investigation prior to employment. The background check may consist of the following components:
SEMA4 Records Check
Criminal History Check
Employment Reference Check
Why Work For Us
GREAT BENEFITS PACKAGE! The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax-deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year.
How to Apply
Click “Apply” at the bottom of this page. If you are unable to apply online, please contact the job information line at 651.259.3637.
For additional information about the application process, go to http://www.mn.gov/careers.
If you have questions about the position, contact Stephanie Olson at [email protected] or 651/366-3381.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The State of Minnesota is an equal opportunity, affirmative action, and veteran-friendly employer. We are committed to providing culturally responsive services to all Minnesotans. The State of Minnesota recognizes that a diverse workforce is essential and strongly encourages qualified women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
.Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) encourages participation in all its programs, services and activities and does not discriminate against qualified applicants with disabilities. Anyone who believes they may need a reasonable accommodation in order to fully participate in the job application, interview or selection processes may contact any agency official with whom the applicant has contact in the processing of their employment application to request an accommodation. Applicants may also contact the MnDOT Affirmative Action office to request an accommodation by: E-mail: [email protected]; or by calling Janet Miller at 651/366-4720; or using MN Relay 711.
The MnDOT Reasonable Accommodation policy can be found at: http://www.dot.state.mn.us/policy/hr/hr009.html