Today, the Drone Racing League (DRL) announced a global collaboration with the hit Amazon Prime Video series The Grand Tour as part of its 2017 Allianz World Championship Race in London. This includes a custom Grand Tour Finish Gate at the World Championship race at the iconic Alexandra Palace, a branded Grand Tour commentator booth for the special guest play-by-play announcers on-site at the race and the creation of digital content to leverage the cult brand following of The Grand Tour and the technical innovation and creativity of DRL.
“As devoted fans of The Grand Tour we can’t think of a better entertainment partnership for DRL,” said DRL CEO/Founder, Nicholas Horbaczewski. “The larger-than-life-personalities and epic stunts align perfectly with the insane skill of DRL pilots, our incredible 3D race courses and the drive to deliver the sport of the future to fans around the world.”
The collaboration begins with the finish gate, modeled on the iconic Grand Tour studio tent pitched around the world in Season 1, at the World Championship Race. The race will be included as part of the 2017 DRL Season broadcast on ESPN, Sky, Pro7Maxx, Disney XD, OSN and other leading broadcast channels in more than 75 countries. The custom gate will capture all of the high-speed action as elite DRL racing drones, the Racer3, crash into the tent at speeds above 90 MPH.
“Jeremy, James and Richard have made a career out of thinking up near-impossible stunts and making them a reality,” said Mike Benson, Director of Marketing, Amazon Prime Video. “This collaboration with the Drone Racing League, innovators and creators of this exciting new sport, is a natural fit.”
The Championship Race will be the first professional drone race in London, and the finals will feature 8 of the world’s top drone pilots competing for the title “World’s Greatest Drone Racer” and a professional contract in the 2018 DRL season. The championship will also headline as part of the new-look London Tech Week, which re-launched earlier this year in partnership with Informa (KNect365) and backed by Tech Week founding partners London & Partners and Tech London Advocates.
In addition to the race and the custom features on-site at the championship, DRL and Amazon will unveil multiple, one-of-a-kind videos honoring the heritage of The Grand Tour and the technology behind the sport of the future. Content will be released in August and September in anticipation of the premiere of The Grand Tour Season 2 later this year.
Season 2 of The Grand Tour, available exclusively on Amazon Prime Video, will feature the return of Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. Their global fans have followed their adventures around the world, and the collaboration with DRL is a small piece of the excitement ahead in Season 2.
About Amazon Video
Amazon Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that offers customers the greatest choice in what to watch, and how to watch it. Amazon Video is the only service that provides all of the following:
- Prime Video: Thousands of movies and TV shows, including popular licensed content plus critically-acclaimed and award-winning Amazon Original Series and Movies from Amazon Studios like Transparent, The Man in the High Castle, Love & Friendship and kids series Tumble Leaf, available for unlimited streaming as part of an Amazon Prime membership. Prime Video is also now available to customers in more than 200 countries and territories around the globe at www.primevideo.com.
- Amazon Channels: Over 100 video subscriptions to networks like HBO, SHOWTIME, STARZ, PBS KIDS, Acorn TV and more, available to Amazon Prime members as add-ons to their membership – to view the full list of channels available, visit www.amazon.com/channels
- Rent or Own: Hundreds of thousands of titles, including new-release movies and current TV shows available for on-demand rental or purchase for all Amazon customers
- Instant Access: Instantly watch anytime, anywhere through the Amazon Video app on TVs, mobile devices, Amazon Fire TV, Fire TV Stick, and Fire tablets, or online. For a list of all compatible devices visit www.amazon.com/howtostream
- Premium Features: Top features like 4K Ultra HD, High Dynamic Range (HDR) and mobile downloads for offline viewing of select content
In addition to Prime Video, the Prime membership includes unlimited fast free shipping options across all categories available on Amazon, more than two million songs and thousands of playlists and stations with Prime Music, secure photo storage with Prime Photos, unlimited reading with Prime Reading, unlimited access to a digital audiobook catalogue with Audible Channels for Prime, a rotating selection of free digital games and in-game loot with Twitch Prime, early access to select Lightning Deals, exclusive access and discounts to select items, and more. To sign-up for Prime or to find out more visit: www.amazon.com/prime.
ABOUT THE DRONE RACING LEAGUE
DRL is the premier drone racing circuit for elite FPV pilots around the world. A technology, sports and media company, DRL combines in-house, world-class media and proprietary technology to create thrilling drone racing content with mass appeal. In 2017 DRL is hosting a global series of six races, the Allianz World Championship, to be broadcast on ESPN, Sky Sports, Prosieben, OSN and other leading broadcast channels around the world. Founded by Nicholas Horbaczewski in 2015, DRL is a privately held company headquartered in NYC. For more information on the 2017 race season, visit www.drl.io. To join the conversation, follow DRL on Facebook at facebook.com/thedroneracingleague, on Twitter @DroneRaceLeague, and on Instagram @thedroneracingleague.