The Director of Flight Operations will join Airware’s Professional Services and Customer Success organization to lead a team of UAV Operators and Instructors. You will build and lead a team responsible for representing the Airware vision for how aerial data collection with commercial drones should be carried out. You set the direction for our team and for customers on how to manage all aspects of UAV missions, from planning flights, to setting up sensor payloads, to flight operations, and post-flight data analysis.
Your team will plan, coordinate, and execute demonstrations of Airware’s product features for clients. In addition you will manage Airware’s programs to train and certify our customers and partners to conduct operations safely, legally, and reliably themselves.
- Customer Flight Operations
- Develop the strategic direction for the flight operations team.
- Ensure the proper operating procedures are defined for the different types of operations and conditions our customers require.
- Coordinate regulatory permissions.
- Onsite preparation: site surveys, validation flights, sensor setup, coordinate with site managers and property owners.
- Demonstrate products and solutions: complete pre-flight checklists, fly aircraft and collect aerial data.
- Oversee and ensure maintenance of aircraft, as necessary.
- Travel around the US/world to manage operations for customers. Ensure aircraft and equipment are packed and shipped, coordinate customs paperwork and transportation of goods.
- Provide feedback to product and engineering teams.
- Training and Certification Programs
- Define and manage the development of curricula.
- Develop policies and standard operating procedures
- Oversee development of content and ensure content quality.
- Manage migration of content to a Learning Management System.
- Develop the plan for deployment of training services, including building a training team.
- Manage customers and partners through the training process.
- Develop certification criteria and methods to ensure they are met by trainees.
- Ensure that product feedback from customer and partner training is communicated back to the product management team.
- Develop the plan and oversee the rollout of partner programs.
Necessary Skills and Experience
- Experience managing and mentoring a team of UAV Operators
- Experience developing and delivering training and certification programs
- Ability to travel 40% of the time
- Ability to write process documentation
- Account management and customer engagement
- Excellent attention to safety and understanding of risk assessment and risk management
- Operating UAVs in a high-pressure, high-stakes environment with no room for error
- Sport, private or commercial pilot license
Beneficial Skills and Experience
- Experience flight testing aircraft
- Experience filing regulatory paperwork
- Sales and marketing experience
How to Apply and What to Expect:
In addition to a resume, please include a short explanation of your background, accomplishments (links to past projects are always helpful), and what excites you about Airware. This will help us to get a multi-dimensional view of who you are and connect you with the right person at Airware.
Be prepared to have a detailed technical discussion with a member of our team over the phone or via video chat. Be prepared to spend a half-day at our office with the Airware team.
Airware develops an operating system for commercial drones, allowing enterprises to take full advantage of aerial data for any commercial application. Airware’s Aerial Information Platform combines hardware, software, and cloud services to enable companies to quickly customize, efficiently manage, and safely and reliably operate commercial drones at scale. Based in San Francisco, Airware has gathered a cross-disciplinary team of experts in aerospace, robotics, geospatial, hardware, software, and cloud. Founded in 2011, Airware has raised more than $40 million to date from investors includingAndreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins Caufield and Byers, First Round Capital,Google Ventures, GE Ventures, and Intel Capital.