The Wasp Micro Air Vehicle (MAV) has built upon the technology amassed from the earlier DARPA Black Widow MAV program. With a wingspan of 41 cm and a weight of 275 grams, the Wasp is AeroVironment’s smallest UAS. Wasp can be manually operated or programmed for GPS-based autonomous navigation.
To ensure system interoperability, Wasp uses the same advanced technology found in other AeroVironment’s UAS, such as Raven RQ-11A, Swift and Puma, and is controllable through a common Ground Control Station.
There are two Wasp variants: the traditional version that lands on land (“Terra Wasp”) and a version that lands into the sea or fresh water (“Aqua Wasp”).
- Crew: none
- Length: 1.25 ft (38 cm)
- Wingspan: 2.375 ft (72.3 cm)
- Height: ()
- Empty weight: 0.95 lb (430 g (Land version))
- Loaded weight: 14.4 lbs (6.53 kg)
- Powerplant: 1× Electric motor, rechargeable lithium ion batteries, ()
- Maximum speed: 40mph 65 km/h
- Cruise speed: 40 – 65 km/h
- Range: 5 km
High resolution, day/night cameras with digital image stabilization and digital pan/tilt/zoom