Today, Resource UAS (RUAS) has taken delivery of a bespoke High Fidelity UAS Mission Simulator which is the first such facility to be established in the UK. This agile and innovative simulator will enable RUAS to offer a unique foundation training experience.
Located at the Resource Training facility in Cwmbran, South Wales, the simulator is platform agnostic and is able to simulate a generic Class 2 platform and both Rotary Wing and Fixed Wing Class 1 platforms. The system can also be used to train EO/IR Payload operators working in manned platforms – both rotary and fixed wing.
Ferranti Technologies has developed the simulator specifically to meet the requirements of Resource UAS to provide a capability to train UAS Remote Pilots and EO/IR Payload Operators in the fundamental skills of operating these platforms. The system has been designed to include customizable scenarios which cover a range of terrains and environments from urban to coastal and includes a comprehensive range of interactive entities from both military and civilian environments.
Resource Group Director, Adrian Leatherland said “Alongside a fleet of Quad-rotor Nano UAVs and a Web Based Learning Management System, the simulator represents a significant technology investment which will underpin the pioneering foundation UAS/ISTAR training programmes currently being launched by Resource UAS.”
Craig Lippett, Resource UAS’s Training Manager said, “The simulator is fantastically flexible and versatile. In-exercise, the trainer can take dynamic control of entities to optimise training experience and customise scenarios in real time providing training for UAS vehicle operators and sensor operators independently or operating as a crew. It puts our training capability, head and shoulders above anything else in the market, and is only limited by our imagination.”
Sgt Jonathan Bramley, an EO/IR instructor in the RAF saying “The RUAS simulator represents the most capable tool for delivering EO/IR sensor training that I have seen. The sensor capability coupled with a MIRC chat facility and communications setup with interactive entities, realistic infrared signatures, 3D built up areas, realistic terrain and vehicle operator station for dedicated crew training puts it ahead of any other generic trainer in the field.”
Other features include:
• Integrated student positions for airspace de-confliction, handovers and training objective achievement, including airmanship, crew resource management, flight safety and communications.
• Generic EO/IR sensor simulation with payloads operating in the visible and infrared spectrums.
• Realistic IR signatures of a variety of civilian and military vehicles and personnel.
• Additional library of IR signatures for military e.g. counter IED training, and civilian training, e.g. searching for oil spills, pipeline surveys, agricultural surveys.
• Training of operational procedures and tactical considerations for optimal sensor employment.
• Training of thought processes for dynamic situation analysis, interpretation of imagery and communications procedures.
• Training of pre-flight, in-flight and post-flight procedures with full simulator replay for after action review, a unique feature in current simulator offerings.
• Generic pilot operator training for Class 1 and 2 UAV operators.
• Independent remote pilot training or remote pilot and sensor operator crew training.
• Realistic UAV interface with flight profile characteristics, generic fault injects, airspace divisions, emergency actions, etc.
• Integrated Communications suite including radio, intercom and MIRC / Chat systems.
• Role playing instructor position for dynamic taskings, additional airborne traffic and scenario injects.
The simulator will be used in the first foundation training courses taking place this autumn. Courses available are listed below:
NANO Foundation Training Courses 2012
Duration One Week (5 days)
• 24th September
• 1st October
• 22nd October
• 29th October
• 12th November
• 26th November
• 10th December
Sensor Operator Foundation Training Courses 2012
Duration 2 weeks (2 x 5 days)
• 8th October
• 5th November
• 26th November
• 10th December